Translate

Thursday, January 31, 2013

OFF GRID ~ usually refers to living in a self-sufficient manner without reliance on one or more public utilities.

Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
John Muir


 Around the same time each month, millions of Americans go to their mailboxes seeking the comforts of a handwritten letter or their favorite magazine only to be greeted by white envelopes with miniature cellophane windows. We're all familiar with these mailers -- power, water, gas and telephone bills, all conspiring to take your hard-earned money. to date i t's impossible to get an accurate count of exactly how many people in the United States live off-grid.But there are many looing for an exit off that HUGE HAMSTER WHEEL WE ARE ON.





little cabin in the woods. not very mid century, but really cute for pictures.

I feel like this is what my tiny house would end up looking like if I built it myself.
The
"Next Generation"
Solar Home
Building underground....@  

 Why more people are choosing to live life unplugged. People who want to get away from today's consumerist society, living off-grid can be an attractive option. living off the land, producing your own food and energy and getting away from the consumption economy that drives so many of our decisions. For more and more people, off-grid living has become the way to go. Although statistics on Americans who choose to take this route are hard to come by, trends suggest that the number is increasing. Some people do it to be self-reliant or more in touch with nature. Many go off-grid to step away from society. In this economy many do it because it is the most financially viable option possible they feel. Many Third World citizens have never had the chance to go on the grid, current estimates are that 1.7 billion people live off-grid worldwide.  Off-the-grid homes are autonomous; they do not rely on municipal water supply, sewer, natural gas, electrical power grid, or similar utility services. A true off-grid house is able to operate completely independently of all traditional public utility services. 
 
Spaceless: Hidden furniture for small spaces Furniture for 
THE DOWN SIZED LIFESTYLE

http://www.busyboo.com/2011/09/19/small-spaces-spaceless/
 
 

I go to nature to be  soothed and healed, and to have my senses
      put in order.   
                                                                      - John Burroughs

Reason number 3 that I need my own lake. (Reason 1 to get a tiny house boat to spend my weekends living in. Reason 2 to make my own tiny pirate ship to read and write in)



If spring came but once a century instead of once a year, or
       burst forth with the sound of an earthquake and not in
       silence, what wonder and expectation there would be
       in all the hearts to behold the miraculous change.
                                                                 

 - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
You have to be pretty committed to the environment to move
off the grid. Disconnecting from government-regulated electricity,  water, sewer, gas and phone services would be an enormous --
and difficult --A major life change for most people.For some, the idea of doing without municipal services is a nightmare. it’s not just a matter of snipping the wires. It requires resourcefulness and the ability to adapt to an unfamiliar way of life. Living off the grid means it’s just you and nature existing harmoniously side-by-side and for the few, it’s the culmination of a long-held dream. If you currently live in a home that depends upon the energy grid, it’s not just a matter of snipping the wires. I have started this blog  hoping many will add their stories  as to why they feel the need to get off the Grid. Others, I am hoping will come forward with their experience, and stories of how they got off the grid and offer their expertise to those seeking to make this move. This is the gathering, here is where I wish to connect people looking for ideas, to learn how to make the move, the best places to move. I am hoping to find intentional communities that seek people and people who are seeking communities. This is where I hope like minded people excited about living off the grid can come together to share. Share anything with Off The Grid lifestyles, Homesteading, Organic growing, Natural Medicines  ect , ect,.  The Floor is an open  forum so please feel free to share ,I am excited at the prospect of meeting you all. In between my writings and comments you shall be viewing my collection of tiny houses, little houses, cabins galore and just random housing of all shapes and sizes I have found and have dreamed of or imagined someday building or buying and perhaps managing to buy land and live far from the maddening crowd. 
Tiny house in Atlanta, Georgia based on the Tumbleweed Fencl with cedar shake shingles, concrete counter tops and poplar and walnut wood interior. Built by Barred Owl Builders and Pav from Owl Creek. C LOTS MORE @ http://tinyhouseswoon.com/georgia-tiny-house/ AND A BLOG HERE @ http://pavandkate.blogspot.com/2012/09/tumbleweed-traveling.html

ENJOY ♥




 


Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under
    trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water,
    or watching the clouds float across the sky is by no means
    a waste of time.
                                                                                    

- J. Lubbuck


The Wedge, a small cabin by WheelHaus
 Small house designs with big impact
 More Information @ http://smallhousebliss.com/2012/11/

Homes made out of glass bottles WOW!

I am a 23 year old young man lookin for an intentional community I have basic survival skills meaning I can fish and grow produce I also have basic skills in carpentry and I am seriously interested in living off the land I am tired of being considered a piece of property for I am a living human being born free of this world I would like to know of an intentional community independent and free of government reign please contact me at jeremiah993@yahoo.com

Living off the grid allows you to get away from the hustle and bustle

Live Simple, I also am in my early 50's and have full 
responsibility of caring for my mentally disabled sister. 
I am looking to start a community of like minded people
 in SW WI. Lets chat email me at offgridlife4me@hotmail.com

If you think this type of lifestyle is right for you, make the transition



                Learn about several communities around the United States where people live independent of any utility connections in sustainable, self-sufficient villages.   Off-the-grid communities: 5 places carving a sustainable path 




                                                Homesteading Today. It Is Still Possible ?
Homesteading today. Is it possible? Talk about homesteading these days, and most people think of living off the land and being self-sufficient. But is it still possible to earn free land from the government by proving you can live there, just like people did a century ago? @ http://www.organic-gardening-and-homesteading.com/homesteading_today.html

Small starter or recreational cabin on the county road.


 
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
Lao Tzu





Go Off the Grid for a while a day,  a weekend and in time stretch it out for a month. Who knows, maybe it’ll become contagious and we’ll all sleep a little better in the days ahead. Perhaps by going OTG we might actually bless others and in some way , freeing them to follow our lead.  Perhaps we’ll all have more of the abundant life, and leave more footprints on the narrow road we so long to travel…





















I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

I wanted to live deep... ~ Henry David Thoreau



Photo Credit: ©RoJo Images - Licensed For Use
 
A peek inside
Have you gone off the grid?
When I say off the grid, I mean truly disconnecting from all things electronic. There would be no way to check email, Tweet, make a phone call or see what your Facebook friends are having for dinner.
We all talk about going “off the grid.” I see people mention it on Twitter all the time – “I went off the grid for 2 days and it was so great.”But I’m talking about more than one or two days. I’m talking about no exceptions, no electronics, no digital contact for an extended period of time. I believe it is, and will be extreme difficult for most to go cold turkey especially weaning ourselves off of our electronic addictions.


 Tiny Cottage Kitchen...
I love kitchens! I want my tiny house to center around my kitchen--I want it to be the social hub. Or rather, I want my tiny house to be one big kitchen. Love what these folks had to say: "Nothing we own is so precious that it can’t get dinged or scratched..."
Small Cozy Dream Home

Add caption
 I ran into this interesting article and I feel it is a worthy share @ http://www.kludgymom.com/off-the-grid/

 



Is living off the Grid now a crime?
 Apparently living off the grid, off the land, and without government assistance is now a crime that can land you in jail, and cause you to lose your home.Government officials across the country are forming so called “nuisance abatement teams” to intimidate people into giving up their land, or conforming to the governments demands and hooking back into the grid. Counties across the country are actually jailing people for living the way they want to live.
I was alerted to this video by a reader, and was troubled and sickened by what the poor people in the California Desert are being forced to deal with. From being threatened with jail time if they don’t hook back into the grid, to being thrown in jail because the county didn’t like the look of their homes, the people in the deserts of Los Angeles County are being terrorized by their government.  <http://youtu.be/yw3RiMdS7sE>




Off-grid living is a lifestyle where more can be less. Off-grid homes powered by solar energy can operate just like normal, grid-connected homes. During sunny days, the solar cells will provide all the power needed and, when it's cloudy or during the night, the house runs on batteries. When you have unusually high power requirements, or for extended periods of heavy cloud, a backup generator kicks in.  

 

 


9 comments:

  1. I made the move to 100% off-grid 2 years ago and it was the best move I made. Being minimalist is great, but like to remind people that off-grid does not necessarily mean living without. I have a large home and shop and I run my business (renewable energy) from this site.

    One way to look at off-grid is you cut out all the middlemen and inefficiency. You are responsible. Take home heating. Most people work jobs to make money to then buy fossil fuels to heat their homes. For me, it works out to 1 hr per week average to gather all the firewood I need. It's good, hard honest work with a very direct reward.

    Advise to people dreaming about going off grid: just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Kevin,Many I have been learning truly realize that once they downsize they enjoy some of their best times with a whole lot less! Including Less Stress & Less bills........ ♥

      Delete
  2. I have been off the grid for more than 30 years now. I have solar power for some electric stuff and a satellite company for internet access. I also cut my own firewood from my property. I had dairy goats for milk for a long time but I am too old to handle goats properly anymore. Regardless of any government infringements I would still recommend that people try to live off the grid if they want to. It is a great life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been living off-the-grid for almost 14 years now. We do not live in one of those tiny houses. Nor do we have a big fancy system. Our house was built in 1850 and was never hooked up. The power lines don't come here and never will. We cook and heat with wood and our water comes from a pitcher pump on our hand dug shallow well out front. We make a living on our computers, using a satellite for internet connection.

    It doesn't seem any different than living on the grid to me now. At first it was an adventure, now it is just our life. Though we do not have all the conveniences most other people have, it doesn't seem to affect my husband and I that much, unless one of our grown sons is staying with us. They have a hard time with it and don't want to be here for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I can well imagine what your grown children put you through. They should be so proud of the fact that you are off the Grid ! Actually it is the IN THING or soon shall be. Congratulations .. I applaud you :-).

      Delete
  4. In the past, running an EMF protection company I learned how many people for health reasons had to live outside the grid and this opened my eyes to the wonderment of living naturally...truly naturally. I have chosen differently though I am taking more and more action steps to living fully responsible for myself. For this reason I am involved in a new company bringing aquaponics to everyone at the lowest cost possible. Now I see it is vital it be fully self sufficient including the electricity, rather than having backup systems when electricity is lacking. Indoors or outdoors this moves me toward independence from the worldwide suppliers. This site is an inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been living off grid in an earth sheltered home of our own design and building with materials mostly gleaned from the land (built in 1984) and a strawbale cabin (which was a studio) also totally off grid on our land about 1/2 mile through the woods. We are able to supply about 70% of our food through gardens, orchards, hunting/fishing and gathering (we are fortunate to be in an area of abundant lakes, streams and wild rice.

    I had no choice but to live this way. I couldn't/wouldn't compete in the 9 to 5 rat race working for a paycheck. Never had a mortgage, debt free.

    Highly recommended.

    We encourage others through our presence on Facebook.

    https://www.facebook.com/lilacmoonhomestead

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking at land right now as well trying to find one with an exsisting building that is off the grid . I cant wait to truly be free.
    I want to live in harmony with nature and truly be rewarded for that hard work that it takes for this kind of lifestyle . I would love to build or buy a small home I have 2 teenagers I am wondering how it works with teens that are used to living in a low class area that has only known technology and city electric ,gas ,water? They say they dont want to then they say they do. has anyone went off the grid with 2 teenagers?

    ReplyDelete